Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pregnancy fears, and why you shouldn't worry!

Every expecting mom knows these fears. I know why I shouldn't worry and I still have them! I personally have spent many sleep deprived nights on Google while suffering from insomnia. [Hello every single stinking thing that has ever ran through my head while I try to sleep.] They gnaw at you like untrained puppies, always nipping at the back of your mind. It makes it hard to put on a happy face. Well lucky for you, Google and me are best buds, and I will tell you why you shouldn't worry!

Real pregnancy fears:
1. Miscarriage: Not only is this a normal fear for every momma to be out there, it's also a very real fear. I've experienced it myself and it does happen. If it does happen to you know that you're not the only one, you're not alone, and it's not your fault. It will get better, and you can always try again. I know that's not very great advice, but I promise you'll pull through it. I pulled through so I know you can! Also, familiarize yourself with the statistics. 75% of miscarriages happen in the first trimester. Less than 20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. A healthy woman has about a 15-20% chance of miscarriage in the first trimester. You're basically home free after that, as your risk drastically drops, and around 14 weeks your chance of miscarriage drops to around 1%. The reason you shouldn't worry is because it's very common, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it other than eat healthy and sleep well. I worry because I can't sleep well, and as you know I'm a pig and I eat everything. I try really hard though! [Oink oink!]

2. Hurting the baby inside the womb: Sometimes I have this fear, when I stand up too fast, or sit down too fast, or run into something, or lay on my stomach "Oh damn did I hurt my baby?!" I have this fear because I often feel a slight pinching feeling around my groin area, and I'm not positive what it is. You shouldn't worry because almost anything you do to your body won't hurt your baby. Not only is your baby protected by your uterus, but also by the amniotic fluid. Just try not to bump into stuff too hard or fall. [I know it's hard to not fall, since your center of gravity is about a foot in front of you now!] And for shits sake, if your in an abusive relationship, leave that asshole immediately. It's not safe for you or baby.

3. Eating or drinking the wrong things: Will this piece of chocolate cake give my baby ADHD from all that sugar? Will indulging in my favorite foods give my baby birth defects? What about soda, everyone is talking about how coffee is a big no-no but nobody said anything about Pepsi!? Help! You shouldn't worry about this, because at your first prenatal visit your doctor will tell you all the big no-no foods. [Make sure ya'll are nukin that deli ham in the microwave!] You're allowed one cup of coffee a day, If you don't drink coffee I assume 2 cans of soda a day can't hurt anything considering it's a lot less caffeine than coffee. Your sugar intake won't give your baby a hyper disorder, but you should still limit yourself. It might make your baby a bit fatter, and it might make you feel a bit crappier, and everyone knows you don't need to feel any crappier during these next few months! If you do have any concerns that weren't talked about at your first visit, you can always call your doctor or midwife, that's what they are there for!

4. Something really gross or embarrassing will happen during delivery: My most common fear is what if I poop while I'm pushing? Well put that fear behind you and don't worry because if you do, you probably won't even notice and the doctors will clean it away asap. Not much can gross a doctor out, they've seen it all. Remember, they deliver babies about 5 or 6 times a day. If you poop on the table, they aren't going to laugh or get grossed out or anything, they've seen it already and it's actually very common.

5. I won't make it to the hospital in time: I've read many a horror story about this happening. A mom who birthed just outside the hospital on the pavement, a mom who birthed in a cab, a mom who birthed in a grocery store. You shouldn't worry, because unless you're one of those rare women who didn't know they were pregnant in the first place, you'll be watching out for every possible sign of labor and you'll definitely know when your contractions start and by now hopefully you know how to time them out!

6. I won't be a good mom: I've never done this before, this is my first baby. I fear I won't be a good mom because [Insert negativity here.] Let me tell you, you will be a wonderful mom. If you're here, on this website looking for helpful information about pregnancy, or you're on other websites or always calling your midwife or reading all of the baby books, you will be a fantastic mother. I'm 18 right now, yea I'm a bit young, and as you know we've tried before [When I was 17.] Being a good mother has nothing to do with age, I've known 15 year olds who are wonderful mothers. [I'm by no means saying to go out and get pregnant if you're 15 or 18 or whatever age, but I am saying that if it happens, make the best out of it and you'll do great!] They were very surprised and scared at first, but every woman has that maternal instinct and you'll be surprised how naturally it kicks in. If I can do it at 18, and other girls can do it at 15, no matter what age you are, I'm positive you've got what it takes!

Hike up them maternity pants, pop that prenatal vitamin, and stop worrying about things you have no control over. Everything will be just fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment